Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Holding Back the Years

I Googled myself the other day (hey, now, I was fully-dressed) and discovered a piece of myself I had completely forgotten: my LiveJournal blog. I went through the entries, from 2002 to 2005, and was amazed at how damned optimistic I was then. I also listened to a lot of music, because the sountrack from 'Chicago' was featured heavily for a couple of months. Deb Ng says that 'Online is Forever,' and it's very true, but this time I was thankful. I was always looking forward to something back then, and it nearly feels like reading someone else's words. How did I become so sarcastic, cynical and old in just a few years? Maybe it's too much life experience, or too few movie soundtracks in my life. In any case, it points out to me that this new digital generation won't be looking through yearbooks and photo albums in the years ahead, but old blogs and social media sites. It's only a matter of time before someone starts up a business searching and archiving all your online moments, condensing your life into one convenient DVD. When that business pops up, give this jaded ol' broad a cut of the profits, will ya?

2 comments:

Kappa no He said...

What a fascinating age we live in!

On the other side of the spectrum, I have heard of companies who go through and erase as many Internet footprints as possible. Especially when someone is job hunting and fears a boss might find some potentially embarrassing blogs/pictures if he Googles their name.

colbymarshall said...

I always think it's funny when I read old journal entries to think I was a totally different person back then than I am now. I've changed so much, it makes me wonder how I'll look back on myself in another five years...