Thursday, July 3, 2008

Day of remembrance

This is a day of remembrance for me. As of today, my dad’s been gone for 32 years. He was so young when he died, younger than I am now. I was eight years old when he passed, and it’s hard to remember his face other than the way he appeared in photos. I do remember experiences, though: hearing him and my mom talk as I napped in front of the box fan, feeling that my world was safe and happy; his odd sense of humor, which I have definitely inherited; riding with him to pick up a Sunday newspaper, and perhaps receive a special treat of Twinkies to share on the ride back. I remember the walks we took down country roads, and how hard he worked to take care of us until he was too sick to move. He worked blue-collar jobs, never getting to follow his own dreams, but he was around to see my first words in print—a poem about tigers in the school newspaper. I know he would be so thrilled to see me achieving my dream as a writer. So I’ll take some time today, as I do every year, to remember him, and be grateful for all the things he taught me while he was here.


Thanks, Dad, for some swell memories. No matter how old I get, I'll still miss you.

8 comments:

DJ said...

PE, this was a very nice post. A lovely tribute and memorial to your father. Thank you for sharing.

Miss Lissy said...

It's hard to lose anyone you love - especially young. I don't know your father, but I'm sure he'd be very proud. I know you to me, it seems like, have a very sound head on your shoulders.

colbymarshall said...

Losing someone you love is something that doesn't always get easier with time, but you'll always have the wonderful memories. Great post.

Unknown said...

Thanks, everyone, for your kind words. It helped make the day a little easier.

Anonymous said...

PE,

This is more than beautiful. I've never seen anything so touching about a father. I can't believe that I teared up reading it. My heart goes out to you.

Fathers are so special. I remember my own experiences with my dad. He wasn't the "Ilove You" type, but I knew it. Some of the things I remember is screaming and running to the door to greet him when he came home from work. And, this one -- but don't tell my mom -- at report card time, he'd give me a sip of his beer if I got an "A". Or maybe he knew, I'd get sleepy from that one sip and wouldn't bug him, while he was watching Wild Kingdom.

Again, this is so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful. My BIL died three years ago on the same day. His daughter was the same age as you when she lost her dad (39). I hope that her memories are as fond and her healing as strong as yours are when she is an adult. That was very touching.

Kelly Curtis said...

Lovely tribute!

Robin said...

Great post. It really hit home for me. I lost my Mama 39 years ago when I was 13 and the not being able to remember her face thing is what hit me. She wasn't much for having her picture made and I only have one picture of her and it's not a real good one. And, the bad thing is that the older I get the more her memory fades. Thanks for making me remember.