Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Turkey and typing

No offense to my folks, but the one of the best Thanksgivings I've ever had was just me and my husband. At the time (we were both much younger) he worked at a retail shop in downtown, and volunteered to keep it open for his boss, and get a little extra pay. I went with that day, and we enjoyed the quiet of the morning; very few people were on the street. We ordered Chinese food, had a wonderful lunch, and then the post-Thanksgiving dinner crowds emerged. They bought tons of stuff, since we were the only shop open for blocks. At the end of the day, the cash register was full, the shop was nearly empty, and we were together, full of egg drop soup and tofu stir-fry. It was a Thanksgiving done our way, at our pace, and we loved it.

We both have a habit of working holidays. This habit started involuntarily, as we held multiple jobs in tourism and customer service. Now, we both set our own hours; his job as an IT guru for a local string of businesses, and and mine as freelancer usually fit well into our schedule. But we often work on Easter or Thanksgiving or Christmas, just because we can, because we enjoy the quiet. So after the required family dinner with my family, we'll head back home and likely work on a few projects, then spend the evening together. Hey, it works for us.

4 comments:

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

My husband and I love low-key holidays together, too. Our best Christmases were when our families were out of town and we could unwrap our gifts to each other and go out for Indian buffet.

This will be our first Thanksgiving without juggling family commitments and we're really excited about it!

Rebecca Laffar-Smith said...

One of the things I love about the holidays is the chance to put aside everything else and just BE with family. We used to gather in large numbers when I was a child but these days our gatherings are smaller and infrequent. I guess it really depends on your lifestyle. Most days I can focus on work in the time I allocate and holidays mean my children are both home so it's harder to set aside that time. I guess that's why I take advantage of the chance to share these occasions with family. I know I can get back to work after the holiday has ended but the chance to visit with loved ones are rare and truly treasured. :-)

Dawn said...

I love spending holidays with just me and my husband. But, by the same token, I can't wait until we start building our own family to share the holidays.

And I admit it, I booted up the computer Friday night (although not at all on Thursday!)

Unknown said...

I actually managed to not do any work on Thanksgiving, so I really surprised myself. I did surf a bit while the hubby wasn't looking though. ;)